Youth Leadership Broward (YLB), a program of Leadership Broward Foundation (LBF), is a nine-month program that provides an opportunity for students to gain real-life experiences through interactions with community leaders from businesses, government agencies, and civic organizations; develop essential leadership skills such as team building, conflict resolution, time management, public speaking and goal setting; and impact the community through an ongoing service project throughout the year. Each year, fifty-five current high school sophomores from across Broward County are selected to participate in this program during their junior year.
Applications are open to all current sophomores attending a Broward County public or private high school who meet the following criteria:
- Hold a grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Demonstrate leadership in their schools and/or community
- Have an interest in enhancing their leadership skills and knowledge of Broward County
- Receive approval by a high school principal and/or guidance counselor
Time Commitment (See Calendar of Dates Below)
- Attend program orientation, opening retreat, leadership day, and graduation day and evening.
- Attend at least five (5) of the seven (7) monthly program days which take place on school days from 8:00 a.m. to
4:00 p.m. (half days count as a full day absence)
- Participate in a mandatory ongoing community service project one weekday a month outside of YLB and school hours.
- Develop leadership and communication skills
- Get a backstage pass to Broward County
- Receive up to 25 community service hours
- Build resume and college application
- Interact with business and community leaders
- Meet diverse group of peers from different schools
Click on the links below to read about the experiences of our past and current YLB students!
Youth Leader Learns How Art and Culture Can Make the World a Better Place
SAMPLE PROGRAM DAY AGENDAS
Call Dana Brown at the Leadership Broward Office at (954) 767-8866.