Youth Leadership Broward (YLB), a program of Leadership Broward Foundation (LBF), is a nine-month program that provides an opportunity for students to gain real-life experiences through interactions with community leaders from businesses, government agencies, and civic organizations; develop essential leadership skills such as team building, conflict resolution, time management, public speaking and goal setting; and impact the community through an ongoing service project throughout the year. Each year, fifty-five current high school sophomores from across Broward County are selected to participate in this program during their junior year.
Applications are open to all current sophomores attending a Broward County public or private high school who meet the following criteria:
- Hold a grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Demonstrate leadership in their schools and/or community
- Have an interest in enhancing their leadership skills and knowledge of Broward County
- Receive approval by a high school principal and/or guidance counselor
Time Commitment (See Calendar of Dates Below)
- Attend program orientation, opening retreat, leadership day, and graduation day and evening.
- Attend at least five (5) of the seven (7) monthly program days which take place on school days from 8:00 a.m. to
4:00 p.m. (half days count as a full day absence)
- Participate in a mandatory ongoing community service project one weekday a month outside of YLB and school hours.
- Develop leadership and communication skills
- Get a backstage pass to Broward County
- Receive up to 25 community service hours
- Build resume and college application
- Interact with business and community leaders
- Meet diverse group of peers from different schools
Call Dana Brown at the Leadership Broward Office at (954) 767-8866.