Community Project Information For Non-Profit Applicants
LB Class XL 2021-2022
Leadership Broward is now seeking project proposals from Broward County’s community agencies and non-profit organizations for Leadership Broward Class XL.
Thank you for your interest in the Leadership Broward Class XL Community Project program. The Leadership Broward program is entering its 40th year. As we continue to accomplish our mission “to develop and inspire individuals to serve our community,” we will again be including the very important Community Project component into Class XL’s program curriculum.
During the past 39 years, Leadership Broward participants have successfully completed more than 260 community projects. Each year, the class contributes over 4,500 volunteer hours valued at $200,000 to the community. The class is divided into eight groups composed of six to eight participants, who work together over an eight-month period (October 2021-May 2022) on the project that they, along with the class leadership, select.
A new benefit of being a nonprofit invited to attend the fair by the Community Projects Selection Team is, to be a beneficiary of our SociallyGood. SociallyGood is a community event presented by Leadership Broward Foundation and it’s open to everyone. Each month SociallyGood features a nonprofit partner who receives the proceeds from all SociallyGood guest fees collected from that evening.
All class participants of Leadership Broward (LB) are required to participate on a community project team. The purpose of this project team is to give them an opportunity to learn first-hand about an organization which supports the community. Additionally, the project provides LB class members the opportunity to engage in a process that will result in a quantifiable benefit to both the organization and the community. This benefit would likely not be possible by the organization alone, and its success depends on the combined strengths of the organization and the individual talents and experience of the LB class members. The projects are expected to have some element of sustainability after the group project has been completed and the LB Class has graduated.
Please read through this letter and application carefully and complete all the sections.
Generally, the proposed project:
- Should be action oriented (although they may also include research as part of their plan) with clear and immediate value to the community.
- Have approval of the appropriate governing body.
- Provide the name of at least one organizational representative whose time will be committed to the project.
- Cannot be a fund raiser, but the class members in the group, at their discretion may choose to raise funds for the purposes of completing the project and/or adding to the exiting project and should be able to be completed within the eight-month time frame mentioned above.
The agency qualifying criteria are as follows:
- Agency must be a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization serving residents in Broward County, or a government agency serving the residents of Broward. Please provide a copy of the organization’s current IRS tax-exempt determination letter.
- Agency may not have any staff enrolled as a member of LB Class XL.
- If the agency was selected for a Community Project by the previous year’s LB Class, (XXXIX), the agency is not eligible to apply for this year’s project and must wait until the following year.
- Agency must provide its most recent audited financial statement or filed IRS Form 990 and a project budget.
- Must be available for a brief phone interview (phone/in-person) with Community Project Committee.
The proposal form and requested supporting information must be submitted to Leadership Broward Foundation, Inc. (via e-mail, fax, mail or drop off) no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, August 20, 2021. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact Andrew at (954) 767-8866 ext. 101 or at email@example.com.
Completed applications can be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Leadership Broward Foundation
Attn: Community Projects Selection Committee
1330 SE 4th Ave., Ste. I
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
LBF has partnered with more than 100 non-profit organizations in our community projects. Click here to see the full list of partners.
Deadline For Proposal
Friday, August 20, 2021 – 5:00 p.m.
Leadership Broward Foundation, Inc.
1330 SE 4th Ave., Ste. I, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
or via e-mail to email@example.com
Community Project Application Interviews
Week of August 23, 2021
Notification of acceptance to attend placement fair
Week of August 30, 2021
Community Projects Placement Fair (if proposal is selected)
Wednesday, September 29, 2021
5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Community Projects Kick-Off (if selected from the placement fair)
Wednesday, October 6, 2021
5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Location Provided Upon Selection
Program Year (project team and agency collaborate to implement proposal)
October 2021 to May 2022
Project Conclusion (written report and presentation by project team)
Friday, June 3, 2022
8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – Project Presentations
7:30 p.m. – Announcement of Recipient of the “Solutions for Communities” Award Announced
Dates and times subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances.
Please keep this information for your records.